- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 vegetable oil
- 1 t white vinegar
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- With a fork, mix flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in an ungreased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Make a well in the center and add water, vegetable oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Stir until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over top of batter.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Dust with additional powdered sugar.
I found the original recipe at One Ordinary Day a couple of years ago and just let it sit in my draft folder. I wanted to try something new last week and this sounded like a great after school snack. It came together easily although I used my mixer and baked it in a greased 8 inch pan. And my boys loved it. I think it would be better with some frosting, rather than powdered sugar, but the boys really liked it.
I was surprised to realize it didn't call for any eggs and only brown sugar.