Teriyaki Chicken with Sauteed Peppers and Mushrooms


1 cup soy sauce (I use low sodium)
1 cup water
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 2-inch piece of ginger root, scored
4 Tablespoons Mirin (cooking rice wine)
2 lbs chicken thighs (or cut up breasts, whatever, it works better with smaller pieces)

Mix everything together except chicken. Bring it to a boil. Add chicken pieces. Turn down the heat and simmer for ~30-45 minutes (or until chicken is done). Serve over steamed rice, with the following:


Sauteed Peppers and Mushrooms

Slice up some red, yellow, green and orange peppers.
Slice up a bunch of fresh mushrooms.
Saute them in some olive oil, with a minced garlic clove until tender, but still slightly crisp.

Holly’s Note:
We serve this often. It's super easy (especially with a rice cooker) and I always have the ingredients on hand. The vegetables really make the meal. The sauce can be frozen, and it's great as leftovers. It works well
in the crock pot too.



Comments

  1. I'd like to try this...any ideas what I can use as a substitue for mirin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made it without the Mirin and it's fine. I think the Mirin adds that extra something to it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I'm out of Mirin I use a little bit of seasoned rice vinegar. Works fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. It's good to know that there is a substitute! Sometimes I can't find Mirin.

      Delete

Post a Comment