Daily Tidbits

I can sense that fall is over the horizon. Probably farther away than I'd like, but still, coming.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

French Silk Pie

Printable Recipe


1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 t. vanilla
3 eggs
1 baked pie crust

Beat sugar and butter together until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Stir in chocolate and vanilla.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  As in, beat for 2-3 minutes after each egg. Scrape sides continually.

Pour into a baked pie crust, cover and chill for 24 hours.  Do not skip this step.  Seriously.  It needs to sit at least 5-6 hours, but overnight is best.

When ready to serve, top with real, sweetened whipping cream.  Do not commit sacrilege and put canned whipped cream on this masterpiece.

Holly's Note:
My husband calls this the Roy Orbison of pie, because Orbison was called the Big O.  I'll let you draw your own conclusions to that one, given that he can't eat chocolate and has only seen my reaction to this pie.  However, this is a roll-your-eyes-back-in-your-head, curl-your-toes good pie.   

I use the recipe found in my old Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  The recipe currently on BHG's website uses semi sweet chips and this one uses unsweetened chocolate, which I think makes a richer pie.  

After adding each egg, beat well for at least 2-3 minutes.  It's key for a fluffy, smooth pie. 




1 comment:

Trish said...

Thanks for sharing the link to this one Holly. My best friend in high school worked at a pie shop and so we'd just eat pie for lunch (back when metabolism was awesome and we could do such things) and French Silk was my favorite. I'm going to have to try this one because "this is a roll-your-eyes-back-in-your-head, curl-your-toes good pie" sounds AHMAZING.