Daily Tidbits

"I am so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." - Anne Shirley

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Bread

Printable Recipe


3 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
4 eggs
1 15 oz can pumpkin (or 2 cups homemade puree)
3 1/2 cups flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. cloves
1 t. allspice
1/2 cup water

Combine the sugar, oil and eggs.  Add pumpkin and mix well.  Combine the dry ingredients; add to the pumpkin mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.  Pour into two greased loaf pans.  Bake at 350 for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.

For muffins, bake for 25 minutes.  Makes ~36 muffins.


Holly's Notes:
The original recipe came from The Amish Family Cookbook.  I had just put up several batches of pumpkin puree and my husband asked for some pumpkin bread to take to his Home Teaching families for church.  I figured I'd try a new recipe since I really don't have a tried or true pumpkin bread recipe.  I searched several cookbooks before finding this recipe.  It came together easily and smelled absolutely divine while it was baking.  It was delicious, although the second time I made it, I did a 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup oil instead of the original 1 cup of oil and I doubled the spices and I did muffins instead.  We prefer the muffins to the bread and the doubled spices was perfect.  This version of the recipe reflects those changes.


This post has been shared at In and Out of the KitchenTwirl & Take A BowInspire Me MondayBusy MondayMelt in Your Mouth MondayMix It Up Monday, Monday FundayMostly Homemade MondaysSee Ya in the GumboClever ChicksMerry MondayThe Art of HomemakingInspire Me MondayMaking MondayProject InspiredMonday HandmadeModest MondayMama MomentsMonday's Musings, Plucky;s Second Thoughts, Motivation MondayCraftastic MondayInspiration Monday, What'd You Do This Weekend?Creative Mondays, Tuesday's TableYou're Gonna Love It TuesdayFall Into the Holidays,Titus 2 Tuesday, Tuesday's with a Twist, Tutorials & Tips, Take A Look TuesdayDo Tell TuesdayOne Project at a Time,Handmade TuesdaysThe Gathering Spot,Too Cute Tuesday, Inspire Us TuesdayTasty Tuesdays, The Inspiration BoardShare It Link Party, The ScoopTotally Talented TuesdaysTwo Cup TuesdaySimple Supper TuesdayTreasure Box TuesdayTickle My TastebudsLou Lou GirlsTime to SparkleTasty Tuesdays,Tip Me TuesdayWise Woman Link UpWhatever Goes WednesdayWednesday RoundupReal Food WednesdayHomemaking Link UpMoonlight & Mason JarsCook It. Craft It, Share It.Project ParadeInspire Me WednesdayA Creative PrincessCenterpiece WednesdayWorthwhile WednesdayYour Whims WednesdayThe Homemaking PartyCreative Ways, Mostly Homemade, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, Wildly Original Linky Party, Show & TellWinsome Wednesday, Full Plate ThursdayGreat Idea Thursdays,Doggone Dirty Craftin'Pin It ThursdayThriving Thursday Think Tank ThursdayShowcase Your Talent ThursdayShare Your Cup ThursdayHome & Garden ThursdayCreate It ThursdayTreasure Hunt ThursdayThe Yuck Stops HereAll Things ThursdayGrace at HomeCoffee and ConversationBloom DesignsArtsy Fartsy Link PartyKrafty InspirationCreative InspirationsHearts for HomeThrifty ThursdayThursday Favorite ThingsLet's Get Real, Weekend SocialFamily Fun FridayPure Blog LoveWeekend Retreat
   

10 comments:

  1. Holly, thanks for popping over and adding this to the collection. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely bread! My name is Katie and I host Fall Into the Holidays, now open. All entries get pinned. I would love to have you link up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy... Love pumpkin baked goods..... Happy Harvest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I just found you through a linkup! If I weren't GF I would be making this in a second. I think I will keep it on the list for my family at Thanksgiving though! You should join me on Tuesdays for the Celebrate Southern link up I host over at www.2catsandchloe.com for some southern-inspired posts. You don't have to be a southern blogger to join, this post would be a perfect fit! :) Glad I found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That made my mouth water! Popping over from Merry Monday Link Party. Pinning this now for later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pinned this! YUM! :)

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks much healthier than the last recipe I tried that has too much oil.

    Thanks for sharing on Tasty Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love reading recipes that have to do with pumpkin right now! tis the season! This looks and sounds just amazing dear! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I already commented on this, but thanks again for joining our Celebrate Southern Linkup! I am pinning this now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love making pumpkin bread! I actually just tried a healthier recipe that used whole wheat flour and honey instead of sugar. It was really good! Thanks for sharing your recipe with Hump Day Happenings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you try one of these recipes, let me know. I'd love to know your reaction/recommendations. Please have your email address enabled in your profile. It makes it a lot easier for me to respond to comments!

If you are here simply to spam or leave a link to some obscure place where you sell things, don't bother. Your comment will be deleted.

While I appreciate awards, I no longer accept them, but thank you for thinking of me. Your comments are reward enough!