- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup tomato juice (I just fill the tomato sauce can with water and call it good)
- 1 1/2 T Worchestershire sauce
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 1/2 T vinegar
- 2 T liquid smoke
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 1 T cumin
- 2 cups water
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 - 1 1/2 T minced garlic
- Pinch Roasted Red Pepper flakes to taste
- In a skillet, cook the bacon and onion until done.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a soup pot, brown the ground beef.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the bacon and onion mixture and simmer for several hours.
- You can also cook it all together and then dump it in the crock pot so it simmers until you're ready to eat.
The Doctor wanted chili one night and I didn't really have a chili recipe to use. He really likes Texas Roadhouse chili though and while this one isn't exactly like that, it gave me an idea to start with. I took my Sloppy Joe/Western Burger recipe and modified it by eliminating the can of chili, and adding bacon, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic and some roasted red pepper. It turned out really well and is one of our new favorite meals. The Doctor likes to have his chili over rice, so I also cooked up a batch of Rice Pilaf and use beef broth instead of chicken.
This post has been shared on Mix it Up Monday, Busy Monday, Monday Funday, Sweet Sharing Monday,Mostly Homemade Mondays, See Ya in the Gumbo, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, Real Food Recipe Roundup, Tweak it Tuesday, Happiness is Homemade, Lou Lou Girls, Tickle My Tastebuds, Tasty Tuesdays, Tuesday's Table, Two Cup Tuesday, The Scoop, Share Your Stuff Tuesday, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Wonderfully Creative Wednesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Wake-Up Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, Pin It Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, Fabulously Frugal Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Thursday Favorite Things, Great Idea Thursdays, Pin It Party, Thriving Thursday, Think Tank Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Share Your Cup Thursday, Home and Garden Thursday, Family Fun Friday, Country Fair Blog Party, Foodie Friday, Weekend Retreat Link Party, Foodie Friday, Freedom Fridays, Frugal Friday, Fabulous Finds Linky Party, Flaunt It Friday, Foodie Friends Friday, Eat Create Party, Pin Junkie Pin Party, Five Friday Finds, Weekend Potluck, Party Bunch, City of Links, Friday Favorites, Pretty Pintastic Party, Old-Fashioned Friday, Weekend Social Party, In and Out of the Kitchen,