Daily Tidbits

Lunch dates with The Doctor are the best.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pressure Canning Broth

I love to can and each year I usually do several kinds of jam, salsa and tomatoes.  This year, my mom brought me a pressure canner because I've been wanting to branch out with my food preservation and storage.

I've always made my own chicken, turkey and beef broth, but I just freeze it flat, in plastic bags.  It works ok, but I always forget to take it out ahead of time and then need to thaw it when I'm cooking.  I came across a post at Simply Canning about canning your own broth and I thought, "Cool!".

I followed her directions, boiled up the turkey carcass with some additional seasoning, celery, carrots, onion and garlic and figured out my pressure canner and, "Voila!"


9 pints of turkey broth.  I am thrilled at how easy it was and now I can free up some freezer space.




1 comment:

  1. Oh man. I so want to try pressure canning but it also scares me! I've only started preserving this year and have taken baby steps with jam. Kudos on all the beautiful broth! I freeze mine in jars...just make sure not to fill them up too much so the jars don't burst. I do the same with spaghetti sauce but you're right about that precious freezer space!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. If you try one of these recipes, let me know. I'd love to know your reaction/recommendations. Please have your email address enabled in your profile. It makes it a lot easier for me to respond to comments!

If you are here simply to spam or leave a link to some obscure place where you sell things, don't bother. Your comment will be deleted.

While I appreciate awards, I no longer accept them, but thank you for thinking of me. Your comments are reward enough!