Pressure Canning Broth

I love to can and each year I usually do several kinds of jam, salsa and tomatoes.  This year, my mom brought me a pressure canner because I've been wanting to branch out with my food preservation and storage.

I've always made my own chicken, turkey and beef broth, but I just freeze it flat, in plastic bags.  It works ok, but I always forget to take it out ahead of time and then need to thaw it when I'm cooking.  I came across a post at Simply Canning about canning your own broth and I thought, "Cool!".

I followed her directions, boiled up the turkey carcass with some additional seasoning, celery, carrots, onion and garlic and figured out my pressure canner and, "Voila!"


9 pints of turkey broth.  I am thrilled at how easy it was and now I can free up some freezer space.




Comments

  1. Oh man. I so want to try pressure canning but it also scares me! I've only started preserving this year and have taken baby steps with jam. Kudos on all the beautiful broth! I freeze mine in jars...just make sure not to fill them up too much so the jars don't burst. I do the same with spaghetti sauce but you're right about that precious freezer space!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment