Lisa's Brown Bread

Printable Recipe


1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup old-fashioned oats
2 T shortening (I used butter)
2 t. salt
1 package (1/2 T) yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1/2 t. sugar
1/4 cup molasses
4 3/4-5 1/2 cups flour

Combine boiling water, oats, shortening and salt.  Let cool. In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water.  Sprinkle with sugar.  Add oat mixture, brown sugar, molasses and 3 cups flour.  Mix well.  Add enough flour to form a soft dough.  Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth.  Place in greased bowl and let rise.  Divide into two loaves and place into greased bread pans.  Sprinkle with some oats.  Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.  Remove from pans and brush with melted butter.

Makes 2 loaves.

Holly's Note:
This recipe came from Simply Delicious Amish Cooking and received rave reviews from my husband.  It's really good, not very heavy, but not light and not overly sweet. It makes a fantastic toast.  The recipe didn't say to let it rise after putting it in the bread pans, but I let it rise for another 30 minutes.  I also used hot, not boiling water and didn't let it cool very much, before mixing it all together.  And, I don't knead. It put it all in my kitchenaid and let the mixer do the work. Once it was smooth, I let rise.

This is a keeper.


Comments