Family Favorite Friday: Potato Casserole AKA Funeral Potatoes

This is one of my favorite recipes.  Ever.  I can eat it as a side dish, I can eat it as a main dish.  It's versatile and delicious.  Never use corn flakes.  The parmesan/bread crumb topping is fantastic.

Printable Recipe



Ingredients
  • 1 package frozen hashbrowns (I like the shredded style)
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 can milk
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cups breadcrumbs
  • 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
Cooking Directions
  1. Mix together the hashbrowns, soup, sour cream, milk, cheese and onion. Dump it into a 9x13 pan.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan and butter. Spread over the top of the casserole.
  3. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
Holly’s Note:
Here in Idaho, these are called Funeral Potatoes. I refuse to call them that, but I do get asked quite often to bring them to funeral luncheons! The original recipe that I have came from my great-aunt. I realize that there are tons of recipes like this out there, but I like to think that it is a family recipe because I copied it from her a gazillion years ago. Her original recipe said to cook the potatoes and shred them. I buy frozen hash browns.

This also freezes well. It's the perfect accompaniment to ham or as a side dish for barbeque. We often have it alone as a meatless meal.

Many recipes call for corn flakes on top.  I can't stand it that way.  The Parmesan/bread crumb topping is so good and gives the dish a very elegant look.

Comments

  1. I definitely couldn't call this funeral potatoes, either! That sounds depressing. But the recipe sounds good! Pinning to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I grew up in Colorado, the term "funeral potatoes" was used to refer to scalloped potatoes.
    These sound a lot easier to make than those! I bet the sour cream gives them a great flavor!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment