- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup G Hughes Smokehouse Sugar Free Hickory BBQ Sauce
- 1 1/2 T Worchestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 T vinegar
- 2 T liquid smoke
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 1 T cumin
- 2 cups water
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 - 1 1/2 T minced garlic
- Pinch Roasted Red Pepper flakes to taste
- In a skillet, cook the bacon and onion until done.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a soup pot, brown the ground beef.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the bacon and onion mixture and simmer for several hours.
- You can also cook it all together and then dump it in the crock pot so it simmers until you're ready to eat.
The Doctor loves chili and as I was wanting to make it, but not sure how it would work with Keto, I read through the recipe and realized that it would take very little to make it Keto appropriate.
First thing was to eliminate the brown sugar. I planned to replace it with Stevia, but the sugar wasn't missed at all. I also replaced the tomato sauce and ketchup with our favorite G Hughes Smokehouse Sugar Free Hickory BBQ Sauce. It's amazing. Here in Idaho, I can only get it at Albertsons, but it is also available at Amazon.
Other than those changes/additions, the recipe is unchanged from my original. Obviously I don't serve this over Rice Pilaf like I used to. The only time I do that is if we are having other people over for dinner. The Doctor usually has this with a salad.